Get up to protect your heart and reduce risk of other chronic diseases. Research shows that sitting for long periods of time puts you at risk for developing heart disease, diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure. In fact, sitting is much like eating; it’s bad for your health when done without moderation. Our bodies are made to move! Burn calories, increase brain function and reduce health risks, just by incorporating movement throughout the day.
Check out these simple ways to get up!
- Stand up and take a stretch break once an hour or every 20 to 30 minutes, if possible.
- Invest in an adjustable standing desk for your computer.
- Take phone calls standing up. Pacing the floor is even better!
- Go for a walk on your lunch break or suggest a walking meeting.
- Drink more water; that will lead to more bathroom breaks.
The key is to be mindful of how long you’ve gone without flexing your muscles and work on building more activity in your day!