The chill in the air can make it hard to keep moving toward your exercise goals. Don’t let old man winter slow you down! Here are five ideas for staying active during winter months.
- Bring the fun inside! You can enjoy a brisk walk at a local shopping center or play some indoor sports. Find places in your community that offer indoor activities such as rock climbing, aerobics, volleyball or basketball.
- Exercise at home. Set up a workout area in your home with some inexpensive equipment like light weights and stretch bands. The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommends strengthening activities 2 or more days per week. This can include lifting light weights, doing full or modified push-ups or working with resistance bands.
- Take the stairs. Stair climbing is a great fat-burning workout that will keep your heart rate up.
- Keep an activity log. Hold yourself accountable by keeping an activity log. It will also help track your progress as your work toward your wellbeing goal.
- Spread the love. If your time is limited, do 10 minutes of exercise at a time. Spread these bursts of activity out throughout the day.